The first day of summer is finally here! It’s time to put on the sunscreen, grab your family, friends, and pets, and take advantage of the endless list of things to do in Buffalo. We know summer always seems to fly by, and there’s so much going on around town, so it’s important that you go into these next few months with a plan.
From festivals to parks to outdoor concerts, check out our staff picks for favorite summer activities in Buffalo. Hopefully you’ll find some new places to go and things to do on this list, so you’ll never be sitting on your couch wondering what to do.
Now get out there and enjoy the fresh air! Well, read this post first and then head outside.
Brian Straka – Communications Manager
I spend a good amount of my free time during the summer at Niawanda Park in Tonawanda. I’ve been going there since I was little and have a ton of memories there. You can run, bike, walk your dog, sit and read, fish, or grab some ice cream at Mississippi Mudds.
And you can’t forget about Food Truck Tuesdays in Larkinville. With dozens of food trucks each week, there’s always something new to try.
Elle Anderson – Business Development Associate
- 42North Brewing Company is one of my favorites and close to home. The patio is dog-friendly, they have fun games, and just have a good vibe all around.
- Canalside has free barre/yoga classes, kayaking, and plenty of good food/music/things to do in the same area.
John Gavigan – Executive Director
- Biking on Outer Harbor
- Wilkeson Point
- Gallagher Beach
- Hiking in Ellicottville
- Little Rock City in Little Valley
- Chautauqua Institute
- Boating on the Buffalo River for Canalside concerts on Thursday nights
- Tifft Nature Preserve
- Kayaking through Silo City
- Enjoying the patio at Allen Burger Venture
Amy DiSarno – Office Manager
I love going to Bisons’ games, Shakespeare in the Park at Delaware Park, and simply finding a patio to enjoy my dinner outside.
Pete Petrella – Strategy & Development
- Hitting up any dog-friendly locations in WNY (Deep South is our most recent favorite)
- Love the Liberty Hound and being close to the great activities on the water
Cassie Webber – Marketing & Communications Intern
My favorite summer activities in Buffalo are going for walks in Delaware Park at sunset and going to the Transit Drive-In on Retro Movie Tuesday’s to indulge in buttery popcorn and watch some classic movies outside!
Lauren Rivett – Director of Incubation
Hiking/camping in Zoar Valley – it’s beautiful and peaceful.
Peter Burakowski – Director of Marketing
Summer is gorgeous in Buffalo – here are a few of my favorites:
- Getting out on the water: set sail with the Spirit of Buffalo, take a Buffalo River History Tour or canoe or kayak up the Buffalo River – being alongside a grain elevator is incredible
- Walking to the Hamburg Farmers Market on Saturdays
- Food Truck Tuesdays at Larkin Square
- Looking for beach glass at Hoover Beach or Hamburg Town Park
- Grabbing a bite to eat at one of these longstanding hotdog joints: Connor’s in Angola, Tony’s in Hamburg or George’s in Boston
- Lunches on patios: CoCo (tucked behind the restaurant, this is a great hidden gem), Deep South Taco or Liberty Hound
- Getting ice cream at Charlap’s – whenever they have orange chocolate as the custard of the week, GET IT
- Catching a Bisons Friday Night Bash – about as wholesome of a family experience as they come
- Playing sand volleyball at The KAV
- Attending the Eden Corn Fest parade – does YOUR favorite parade have floats that throw ice cream sandwiches and ears of corn?
- Watching 4th of July fireworks from the hill at Chestnut Ridge Park – why watch only one display, when this view lets you look out at dozens of towns at the same time?
Dan Greene – Director of Operations
The Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market is open every Saturday all summer long, with local produce, vendors, live music, and cooking demonstrations.
Colleen Heidinger – Director of Events & Programming
Nate Benson – Digital Media Manager
Summer in WNY is incredible. I love doing astrophotography at the Beaver Meadow Audubon Center in North Java when the skies are clear. Taking the kids to the Outer Harbor and Tifft Nature Preserve are other favorites of mine.
Kim Speier – Content Marketing Manager
I always look forward to festival season in Buffalo, from the Taste of Buffalo to the Italian Festival and Canal Fest. It’s a great way to try food from a bunch of local restaurants in one place. I also love walking along the path at Niawanda Park and getting lunch with a great view of the Niagara River at Mississippi Mudds or Old Man River.