Frequently Asked Questions
Judges will look over and score each application based on the following criteria:
- The overall strength of team
- Team’s knowledge of market
- A rating of the viability of the product/service/technology
- The product relative to the target market
- Revenue and financing plans
- Overall assessment of the opportunity
43North’s application period for 2017 has closed. Stay tuned for when our next application period is open!
Could your startup use cash, to the tune of $500,000 or $1 million? How about mentorship, incubator space, tons of marketing exposure, connections to investors, freedom from state taxes, follow-on funding, and a whole lotta Buffalove? That’s what 43North offers.
43North will cover hotel rooms for all the finalists. But beyond that, finalists must pay their own way (airfare, ground travel, etc.).
43North is open to applicants ages 18 and older from anywhere in the world, in any industry, with the exception of bricks-and-mortar retail and hospitality.
Is your startup scalable with the potential for aggressive growth? Now we’re talking!
Yes. 43North takes a 5% equity stake in each winning company. You can read up on the Award Agreement here.
Yep, and if you ask our past winners, they’ll say that Buffalo, itself, is a prize. Our winners are required to relocate 50% of their staff or their CEO to Buffalo for a minimum of 12 months. In addition to cash prizes, 43North winners receive free incubator space in Buffalo, mentorship from experts related to their fields and access to other exciting incentive programs. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more information.
Our next class of winners will set up shop in Buffalo in January 2019.
No. Due to the sheer number of submissions received by 43North, none of its staff, agents, including judges, or assigns will enter into any confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement. Please thoroughly review our Terms and Conditions before entering 43North.
Yes! 43North is open to applicants from anywhere in the world, and many of our winners are from outside the area.
The cost to apply is $100.
Simply put, we’re looking for startups that are serious about their companies and our competition.
If you cannot afford our application fee for any reason, please let us know at [email protected] and we’ll work it out.
Our apologies for any inconvenience, but we’re here to help! Please send an email describing your issue to [email protected].
There is never a shortage of things to do around Buffalo, no matter the time of year. In the warmer weather months, there are food and art festivals nearly every weekend, live music at outdoor venues, and tons of parks and bike paths. And when the snow begins to fall, we don’t flock indoors – we take full advantage of our four seasons! Skiing and snowboarding at places like Holiday Valley, sledding at Chestnut Ridge Park, and ice skating at Canalside are just a few of the many ways we keep busy.
We’re also very devoted to our professional and minor league sports teams, the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits, and Buffalo Bisons. If the arts and architecture are more your thing, you’ve come to the right place. Frank Lloyd Wright left his mark on buildings around Buffalo, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery is home to world-class modern and contemporary art, and Frederick Law Olmsted created the beautiful parks around the area. Add to that a diverse and delectable food scene (far beyond chicken wings) and a friendly vibe, and you’re sure to fall in love with Buffalo.
43North has a team of judges and mentors from throughout New York State and the United States who are content experts in various fields.
No, you may not be both an applicant and a judge in the same competition year.
20. If I applied in any of the previous competitions, but did not win a prize, can I apply again this year?
Yes! The competition is open to applicants from previous years, and a few of our winners had applied once or twice before finally winning.
Please contact Nate Benson, our Digital Media Manager, at [email protected] or (716) 710-9227.
The following businesses are not eligible for the Competition:
(1) retail businesses with brick and mortar storefronts,
(2) residential real property business,
(3) investment vehicles that invest in the securities of other entities,
(4) sports venues,
(5) gaming and gambling businesses,
(6) places of overnight accommodation,
(7) past 43North cash-prize winners ,
(8) entertainment-related establishments.,
(9) single-purpose entertainment or event productions (e.g. movies, albums, concerts)
For this purpose, “retail business” means a business that is primarily engaged in making retail sales of goods or services to customers who personally visit such facilities to obtain goods or services. In addition, generally excluded are the following: buy-outs, roll-ups, real estate syndications, tax shelters and franchise-based outlets.
- May 31: Application period closes.
- June-August: Applicants will be notified of their standing, and those moving on to 43North’s Semifinals will be assigned a date to perform live video conference pitches to a panel of judges.
- September: Semifinalists will be notified of their status and whether they are being considered as Finalists.
- October: Finalists will come to Buffalo, NY and pitch live in front of our panel of judges and audience. Eight of the finalists will become 43North Winners.
- January, 2019: Winners will move to Buffalo, NY and begin 43North’s incubation program.